24 January 2006

A Change of Life Story

After reading Mrs. Pom's post of today, I decided to write this story. I've thought about telling it before but felt it was too personal and that perhaps a reader may label me after learning of what really changed my life. Despite that risk, here it goes:
My distant past is much of a blur. So many of the experiences I had I look back on in wonder, wonder that I am still alive. Not that I didn't put any value on life, just that I never thought about the consequences of my actions or decisions. I lived for 'today" with no care about tomorrow. Mostly due to shame and embarrasment I will not mention my foibles in detail but suffice it to say, it's a miracle I'm still here to remember them.
I quess I was 30 by the time I started to reflect on how the present would define my future. I got married, to a man with a similar crazy past and we tried to live down our mistakes together. At first we drowned most of them with mind-altering substances (another mistake) but finally we broke that chain of ups and downs and began to search. For what? I don't think we knew then but it was a spiritual influence that caught our attentions when we met a person of the Baha'i faith. We were facinated by the ideology of a "one world government." Simultaneously we got involved with several anti-establishment organizations which also advocated a new kind of alternative government. We became vegetarians, stopped tobacco use and although drugs were still a part of our life, they were much more under control, or so we told ourselves. We would have long conversations with our "mentor" (I guess that's what you'd call him,) about the theories associated with the Baha'i 's and tried to justify our drug use into our new lifestyle. Eventually we came to feel we were being hypocritical. We had to physically move states to finally erase our former habits because we had such little self-control.
We had no formal ties to the Baha'i religion but kind of stuck to it's ideals because they were more true to us than the religious ideas we'd been brought up with. In actuality we were only trading one lie for another, one destructive lifestyle for another. But, such is sometimes the nature of searching, it takes more than one try to find what your looking for.
Before long, some of our ruinous ways led to a pretty weird divorce. And that's all I have to say about that!
But, all that changed very suddenly.
I met my husband, TT, who had studied the Bible for years. He'd gotten a little disallusioned with life himself and although he felt strongly about the power of living life by Bible standards, his will was not strong to do so because of many discouraging events in his life. Once we married, we initiated a study together. Him, with the intent of strengthening his resolve and me, still searching and intrigued by much I was learning. At first it was the intellectual endeavor of the investigation that drew me in but in time the reasonableness, the love and compassion of the originator of this Bible and seeing the positive effects of it's application, convinced me I had found what I was searching for all along. Not only in myself, but in all I became associated with during this search, these affirmative effects were evident.
I don't know if I can convey with words how this discovery has changed my life. Of course, I still have discouragement at times and lose track of the hope this endeavor has led me to. I don't consider myself "religious" per se but my faith has become a way of life. The rest is just a means to an end. The end of working to overcome my imperfect nature by making a conscious effort to do so - in everything I do. I could be a custodian, a grocery store cashier (not my preference) or a mobile home/RV park manager or just a stay at home mom and be equally satisfied because my real boss is not a human, but a perfect, compassionate, loving being.
Having a husband who shares the same love of this truth I've found, and two beautiful kids (yeah I want to kill them at times) to give the same oppotunity to find a love of that truth gives my life all the meaning it needs.
A far cry from the life I described at the outset, a life that I look back on as if it was another lifetime, another person.
After this post I'm almost relieved that I don't have many readers.

5 comments:

blackbird said...

After this post I'm almost relieved that I don't have many readers...

because you are embarrassed?
or feel funny making a confession?

I think you should feel proud.
You have changed your life, made it better -- does it matter how? why?
Accept the grace of it.

blackbird said...

...and now that you've left your comment on my blog you can count on sharing it with my 250 - 300 readers...

do you want me to delete it?

Anonymous said...

The past is past,
The future is present,
Whatever takes place
Try not to resent it.

It's an interesting fact,
That history is just that.
History- nothing more.
What lies ahead
Is all that counts.
May all the blessings keep-a-coming,
However we met,
That is the past,
What lies ahead,
Will last and last and last!

All my love!

Anonymous said...

Dear Terri,
I remember when you were the sweet and gracious little girl who showed up at our family table once in a while.

Life is a journey and if we don't learn from our mistakes, then we have learned little and perhaps have to repeat lifetimes until we learn what we came here for in the first place.

I've always felt learning to love and give love is the prime reason we are all here at this time, in this place. The rest is incidental. That we hurt ourselves the most with our mistakes seems to be a lesson you have learned. I have seen the love you give in your writings and photos.

Never be ashamed of who you are or what you are. You are the best "you" in the whole wide universe and that is what counts!

Love and blessings,
Carol aka Mrs. Pom's Sister ;)

Anonymous said...

I really have a different take on all this. I saw you as a beautiful young woman who was desperate to establish an identity of her own. You came from such a strict, close family and I knew you needed to just well, explode, in order to find yourself. Your father ruled the roost and you all seem to have spun off into different directions to escape the tyranny. After all, we were raised in a school that sent you home for wearing culottes, then we were sent to the public high school and our sweet, hippie college and it took us a long time to find the balance again in our lives.

I find all of this fascinating. I was with you through a lot of what you aren't writing about and let's be real - we were all crazy then and participating in events that I sure am not sharing with my kids! But the point is that we outgrew it, we learned, and we became adults.

I know nothing about the Bahai faith and now I must go google it and read up. Remind me to take a photo someday of all the baseball hats that Stan has collected. He's given the kids the bug too. I am the only one who cannot wear a hat on my big, thick-haired head unless it is a large sunhat. A b