12 May 2006

Bloomin' List Friday

  • There's no way to keep this list to ten. Mrs. Pom evidently was in the same quandry so decided to expand her list. I don't even know if I have only one favorite TYPE of garden. I do love those Victorian cottage gardens but am always drawn to the impossible to duplicate beauty of a Japanese garden. Then there's the geometric uniqueness of the English garden complete with topiary and loaded with round and square box elders.
    I get particular joy from flowers that are difficult for me to grow. They have differed over the years as varied climates I've lived in changed the species that were difficult. However the dainty
    Clematis vine is one I've always had difficulty with and each time they exude a flower from their delicate vine I get a lump in my throat.
    Purple irises also thrill me, especially when they first begin to bloom and the little purple heads just peep out of the strong, tall stems. I also love the smooth, porcelain-like bark of the
    Crepe Myrtle and it's tender clusters. Along around March, Texas splendor appears in the fragrant
    Mountain Laurels. They line my driveway and the perfume is intoxicating every time you walk outside.

    Receiving very honorable mention (no pics available) are:
  • Pansies, johnny-jump-ups, violas, with their perky colorfulness. The stoney look of
  • Hens and chicks. The fragrant, discreet flowers of the
  • Mock Orange shrub. The summer blooming
  • Fire Bush and it's red trumpet-like flowers and the papery bracts of the
  • Bouganvilla. And finally, #10, the tropical look of the
  • Hibiscus, in it's array of assorted colors and varieties.

I'm not at all sure these are my favorites but I do like 'em! And this list has done it's job because thinking of them has kept a smile on my face the whole time I've been trying to recall each beautiful one. Except for the moments, three to be exact, where the blogger program glitched and I had to start over.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very nice.

Anonymous said...

I adore crepe myrtles! We had such lovely ones in California and Memphis. I loved them in bloom and in their starkness in the winter. After we take down an ageing and dangerous tree out front and replace our sidewalk, I am going to redo the bushes in front of the house and put in some crepe myrtles. I've found a variety that can survive in this zone.