21 March 2006

A Phenomenon

Imagine this. You're a man. You were born in a relatively poor country where you were raised along with four brothers. You married early and had several children and at the ripe old age of 25 you left your country to go work in a more prosperous country to be able to support, not only your new family but extended family as well. Weekly, you western union to home a large portion of your earnings. You must be satisfied with only an occasional phone call to a nearby neighbor of your family, (sometimes a family member would be there) because your family had no phone. Once or twice a year you take a long bus trip back to your country to make sure your affairs are in order and the family is ok.
Now imagine that you were 25 a full 20 years ago and the same state of affairs still exists!
During the last 20 years-your spouse has died, your parents who took over the job of raising your children have reached their 80's and are now in very poor health, your children are in their early 20's with the exception of the one boy (18 yrs) who was conceived on one of the trips home and born nine months later, your daughter has contracted a serious stomach, heart or lung (???) disorder which the doctors in your country cannot diagnose, and just last week your youngest son was in a serious car wreck and is hospitalized.
To top all this off, these past 20 years you have been working in the same place, almost exclusively. The boss is generous at heart yet a very thrifty man because of his depression time upbringing. The job has taught you many skills making you a "jack of all trades," so to speak. This also means that the job requires both
the detailed skills of an electrician and the hard labor of a trench digger. You are THE maintenance person for an entire community of approximately 20 families and an RV Park on 200 acres, owned by your boss. Your only friends are different ones over the years who have lived here and gotten to know you.
You still don't have a command of the language of this country where you live but you have managed to get a little spoiled by the comparative decadence of it. At first you lived in a small modest shack that you built on your employers property along with at least one, if not all of your 4 brothers who also worked, off and on, for the same man. A few years ago there was a big flood which destroyed that home and most of what little you owned and you moved into a 20 ft, yes, I said 20 ft, motor home that was manufactured in the 70's. Usually only one brother stays with you now. Need I go on?
This man and I have worked for the same company owner for the past 20 years. Now that the owner has retired and I've been taking care of the business for him I have gotten to really know this man of whom I write. Tomas just turned 46 this month. Still having so many ties to his homeland, Mexico, he's retained much of it's cultural customs and attitudes while at the same time getting accustomed to some of America's "luxuries." Sometimes we frustrate each other but over all we understand each other pretty well. He's gone right now, visiting his son who had the accident. My prayers are with them. Whenever he leaves to visit home I am reminded of how difficult it must be for him to be so far from family and his roots. It would be impossible for me. This Phenomenon, somewhat common in the South, especially in borden towns, was difficult for me to fathom when I first moved here 20 years ago. I am very much missing his expertise in his absence. I take this opportunity to applaud his courage, endurance and sense of duty to his family which I very much admire.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a heart-wrenching state of affairs you describe. I can't imagine how people leave their country and work for years in a foreign one, whether raising someone else's children or working as a day laborer, all to send money back home for the family you cannot see. You sound very compassionate and understanding with Tomas and I'm sure he treasures your guidance. My prayers for him and his family.

Anonymous said...

You brought tears to my eyes. I guess because I know of his plight.

Lena said...

This is a timely post given all that is being discussed right now. He sounds like a man working for a living for those he loves. It's all so complicated, but I think it will always be hard for Americans to understand sacrifice of that nature. Thank you for the kind words you left on my site. I've finally figured out how to do the Blogger commenting and will visit you often too.